Thursday 11 July 2013

Regarding Spike Lee's 'Oldboy' Remake

"I'm not gonna call it a remake, I'm gonna say it's a reinterpretation" says Spike Lee in regards to his latest feature, a remake of Park Chan-wook's wonderfully dark Oldboy (source). Now, despite Lee's attempts to make his latest film sound like it's going to be half as amazing as the original by using a six syllable word, I am definitely not sold, and with the trailer coming out yesterday, the film seems to have taken exact shots from the original film (such an original interpretation) and just white-washed the whole film.
The trailer for the film can be found here.
My main issue with this film is that Lee is trying to sell it as his own vision, refusing to give substantial comments when the issue of plagiarism is given to him. 
It is extremely hard to "reinterpret" a medium of art through the same medium of art, and this is where I think Lee has gone wrong. If he enjoyed the original film so much that he felt his interpretation of it was a thing that the world needed to see, why not give the audience something new, instead of remaking the same story and irritating a lot of fans that the cult film & director has gained over the years. Why not focus on the relationship between the brother and sister, dealing with the anger of the brother being caught and then the planning, the punishment and the post-punishment of Oh Dae-su from a different perspective? The lack of original thought that has gone into the production of this movie is evident and it seems that Lee is simply trying to get a new film out into mainstream cinema as quickly as possible and with as little effort as possible.
I have no problem with remaking of films. The 2005 film remake of King Kong was released 72 years after the original and was breathtaking. The advancement in technology was the main feature being showcased in this film, providing fans of the original with a modern day film version of the 1933 classic. People benefited from the remake of the film, new generations were introduced to the classic story and it was a sort of proof of the advancement that cinema had made in less than a century.
With Oldboy, the original was released only ten years ago. Park Chan-wook, being the visionary director that he is, made the film absolutely timeless. People are going to be able to watch the original film in seventy years time and think "Wow", and I feel that the remake is doing sort of an injustice to the work of Park Chan-wook, disregarding him and his vision.
With mainstream cinema fans much preferring an English speaking film to a foreign one, I am sure that the remake of the film will do extremely well in cinemas, however I would advise anyone interested in going to see the film to watch the original first. I am not disregarding your interest in seeing Lee's version of the film, I will definitely go to the movies and watch it, perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and write a brilliant review of it. As always, I will remain open to a film before I have seen the whole thing, I feel I just needed to get my feelings regarding the remake off my chest and perhaps some people share the same opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment