Friday 14 June 2013

REVIEW: THE PURGE

I was really excited on my way to watch 'The Purge' last week. As I am not usually the biggest fan of horror or thriller films, I felt the concept of the film was interesting, a futuristic USA where one day a year all crime is legal. However, coming out of the film I was filled with bitter disappointment, and left feeling massively underwhelmed.

The cinema was quite busy, and due to the clever advertising of the film (there was nothing given away, really, apart from the one-line concept), everyone was exciting to be surprised and hopefully scared from the film. I think it sums it up pretty well to say at several points throughout the film, the whole audience bursted out laughing, leaving the film to take itself seriously while the audience digressed and found the situations comical.

A horror film needs to be seamless. That is how they are effective. The seams were most definitely showing in this film, the script had many plot holes and overall it was very monotonous to watch. The 'plot twists' were predictable right from the start of the film, and for a professional film, it seemed to be extremely amateur. It is not often I write a bad review, I like to see the positives in film, and perhaps Ethan Hawke's performance was something of credit, however I am not sure what Lena Headey was thinking when she accepted the role, providing a less than brilliant performance.

There's not much more I can say about this film, there was honestly not even enough substance to comment on anything in particular. Looking on the plus side, the few jump-scares were fun and the tense scene when the masked teens get into the house was exciting for a couple of minutes (i'm not even going to warn about spoiler alerts, you're not going to see this film are you?). Summed up in a sentence by my good friend:

"It was basically the strangers but with better masks"

No comments:

Post a Comment