Friday 11 January 2013

A REVIEW OF TOM HOOPER'S 'LES MISERABLES':


Now, my primary new years resolution was to visit the cinema more often, as throughout 2012 I can count the amount of times I went on both hands. Although this resolution has made me sit through the dire and laughable 'Texas Chainsaw 3D', something which made me almost reconsider my degree, passion & life in general (I joke.. kind of), tonight, I went to a viewing of the new Les Mis, a film that I have seen both positive and negative reviews for. I have one word to sum the film up: WOW.

If i'm correct, the film came out a few weeks back in the US, but tonight, the 11th, was the premiere night over here in the UK. The stage-musical sensation brought all kinds of people to the packed out cinema, and I've never seen so many people bawling at the same time.

To start with, an honorable mention is needed for the child actors in this film. Both Cosette & Gavroche  provided performances that moved the entire audience. The brilliance of their performance and the passion that is visible in both of these young actors is something that makes me hopeful for the future of cinema, something which I have been thinking about a lot recently, after reading numerous articles about Hollywood's movement away from the 35mm.

Anne Hathaway's performance as Fantine is something bound to earn her the Best Supporting Actress award at this year's Oscars, and was something that absolutely distraught me. The portrayal was just right. There is nothing more any words can add to it.
Now, the only thing I was sceptical about was Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter's roles in the movie. Both respective actors in their own right (questionable for one of the pair, but.. let's leave personal opinions aside..), although I was slightly perplexed as to where they would fit in this adaptation that I really wanted to be so, so good, and thought that they could possibly bring a negative to the musical. My fears were completely pushed aside when we were first introduced to them, however, and I see the roles they were given and why they were given them, a sort-of emphasis on their lack of passion for anything moral, contrasting them to the rest of the cast's constant moral dilemmas.

One final point to stick in your mind, is the question of whether the film is good in cinematic terms, as opposed to simply an adaptation of an absolutely incredible story. In my opinion, the film is extremely good in both of these terms, and the heartbreakingly beautiful storyline compliments the artistic use of the camera throughout the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment