Wednesday 30 January 2013

I LOVE CINEMA AND THIS IS WHY:

Since my last post, I've been to the cinema several other times, seeing Les Mis (again..), Gangster Squad, and Django Unchained (Review to come for both when my university work shifts!).
Now although the films may have been out for a while in the US, Django was only released here in the UK on friday, and Gangster Squad has not been out for too long either. However, the point I want to make, besides my constant disappointment that the release date gaps from the US to the UK still exist, is that the cinema is a beautiful, beautiful place, and I believe, contrary to a lot of people, that it will continue to thrive through this technological age we live in & will continue to live in.

I saw Gangster Squad with a friend less than a week after its UK release and we struggled for seats (2 hours before the showing, we went for pizza, it was awesome, okay.. tangent..). The cinema wasn't small and it was a late showing, and although our crappy seats weren't ideal, I was happy.
I couldn't help but realise this also, when I saw Les Mis for the second time around with my university friends. The film had been out over a week, and still, even when we booked tickets several hours in advance, we were stuck with bad seats in a packed cinema.

When choosing a degree, I knew I wanted to pursue film, but there was the ever-present career vs. passion debate with friends (surprisingly not my parents, they've always been 100% supportive of my decisions), and it was an essay, one which I've lost in the space of the internet, that persuaded me to follow my passion.
The main reason that people tried to knock my choice of study was one that went something like this:

"Media degree applications increased 300% in the last year, your chance of a job at the end of it all is 300% less than if you chose something practical that's needed."

Now, despite showing my frustration at these clearly misguided and unintelligent people trying to hold me back, I smiled and said

"Yeah, you're right"

Immediately going home and finalising my UCAS choices, all 5 to study film.
The last few paragraphs may have uttered confusion into your brain, but let me just explain. Surely a 300% rise in media related degrees is a good thing for industries such as cinema and television. The huge number of applicants means that there is a gigantic interest in such industries which can only be a positive. I know, when people were saying it they were thinking of my chances of getting a job, but the film industry has always been a brutal one. You make it, or you die trying. The rise in interest is going to increase the number of people trying to make it, meaning that the ones who actually succeed in making it are going to have to be 300x better, with an overall result in cinema and other forms of entertainment increasing in quality (and, most probably, quantity).

NOTE: I don't really know where I was going with this post. It started about a week ago, with the original intent being how much I love cinema, and I guess it carried on with the 'cinema is awesome and it going to get awesome-er' theme, but I do understand it kind of jumps in the middle somewhere, just deal with it, it's totally new wave.


No comments:

Post a Comment